Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Chicken And Rice Soup (Until the hubs walked in!)

I Love Soup, My family Loves soup, my momma (yep, I talk about her a lot!) can whip up a soup in no time and will cook a roast or something and then cut up the left overs for soup! She has taught me everything I know about starting a soup, soup is just one of those things that you really can't screw up, and you can add as much to as you want- Meat, Beans, Rice, pasta, tomatoes, carrots, celery, onion, peas, green beans, potatoes, garlic, water, milk, butter, broth, quinoa, corn, gnocchi, etc. the list is endless! I think I want to cook an "Everything but the Kitchen Sink Soup" I just don't think you can mess it up!

Just the other day, my husband was wanting something that he was going to have to go the store for- I did NOT want to wait for him to go and get back so I said I would just make some soup.. I had been wanting something lite and decided to make Chicken and Rice Soup- when I was half way finished Dustin, husband came in and asked if I would add pasta to it- so since I think you can add anything to soup I said why not- It turned out great and I believe he had 3 bowls (plus this was a much healthier choice than what he had wanted to begin with!)


My Ingredients-
~1 cup of Rice prepared as directed on package
I use a blend of rice called TruRice from Costco that has Quinoa in it (which is high in protein and very good!)
~3 chicken breast thawed and chopped (I use the kitchen shears to do this)
~about 1/4 cup of Olive Oil (just enough to cover the bottom of my pot)
~I used chopped celery, carrots, and onion for my starter (I chopped with the Pampered Chef food chopper on a Flexible cutting mat so I could just dump it all right into the pot)
~4 cloves of garlic minced/pressed (with the Garlic Press) you could use already minced if you need
~a little salt and pepper (not much just enough to get the flavor going)
~ a tablespoon of Italian Seasoning (the pampered chefs)
~a tablespoon of dried basil (I Will use fresh herbs when I have them, its just what I prefer and i love the smell!)
~a box of broth (chicken or vegetable)
~and about 4 cups of water
~a cup of frozen peas
~now either add or omit my husbands request- 2 cups of dry Pasta- whatever kind we actually had a whole bunch of different types of pasta that Dustin mixed together in a container so when I used it in the soup we didn't know what all pasta we would find and it was really fun for the kids!

-Start by preparing your rice like the directions say to do
-dethaw and chop the chicken
-add olive oil to the pot
-now add chopped vegetables (not the peas)
-add the garlic (I just used the garlic press and pressed it straight into the pot)
-add salt and pepper and herbs
-cook for about 6 minutes on medium high to sort of saute' it together
-now add your chicken and cook until it all turns nice and white!
-now add the peas
-pour in your broth
-stir and pour in water (sort of watch this, if you are not adding the pasta it may get to thin for you)
-add your cooked rice
-and if you wish, at this time bring to a slow boil and add your pasta
-cover and let simmer (medium-medium/low heat) for at least 15- 20 minutes

PS I also think some white kidney beans would have been great as well!


my favorite rice at the moment!

those round ball things are quinoa and they are so good for you!
some ingredients
garlic pressed with the Garlic Press
Food Chopper! Chop the Veggies!
mixing it all up!
My Helper!
Chicken- another flexible cutting mat so I can dump it right into the pot
cooking
the rice is done!
add peas, broth, and rice and water!
now for the pasta! See ours is all mixed up!
All Done! I also pureed some for the baby!


No comments:

Post a Comment